Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Done"

  Today was one of those days where I knew it was going to be challenging. I told myself this, and even though you prepare your mind for it as much as possible, it doesn't come close to what actually goes on. I was in charge of the kids all day because my significant other had to work the overnight shift. Which means he didn't get home until 7 am. That's about the time that my daughter wakes up IF she knows I'm up. I wasn't, so I got to sleep in for about a half hour. In mom time, that's not bad at all. I then proceed to try and get my math homework done, and then the little one wakes up. So, after breakfast is served, I manage to get one section of math completed, thanks to my daughter helping out with her brother.
   The little one decided to take a morning nap, (YAY!)  so that left me some time to get things accomplished. Dishes, laundry, sweeping, housework to be exact. That's the easy part of my day if you can believe that. I don't HAVE to do it, but it gives my mind a break, even if it is only for 10 minutes some days. I like being able to escape from time to time.
   My day was finally "done" around 10 pm today. The reason done is in quotation marks is because I now understand what my own mother was trying to tell me when she said her day was never really done. When you have children, school to attend, homework and housework, the day is never really through. Time management is an important skill you pick up as a parent. You learn to pick your priorities, and see what you can actually accomplish, and what needs to come first. It's not something I would have wanted to pick up at an early age, but I'm glad I did. Thanks to my daughter.

3 comments:

  1. "Mom time" must be very little. How do you stay awake with little sleep? I guess many moms are supers moms to function on little sleep. Yet their love for the kids must help them along. Your doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to just ask the same thing as Lauren. I'm finding enough trouble now, as a freshman in college, finding time to actually get a healthy amount of sleep. I really don't get enough sleep at all actually.. How are you making you getting through everything with such little to no sleep? I commend you on your strengths as a Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice when one gets to the age when they can help out with their younger sibling. I learned this from helping out so much with my brother and sister.

    ReplyDelete