Friday, April 13, 2012

Garage Sale Time

   I never liked going to garage sales when I was younger. Now that I'm a mom, I find them useful. The saying is true. Another ones junk is someone elses treasure. Sometimes you have to dig hard for it. I like to go to the Friday garage sales simply because one child is in school, and having one to deal with is better then two some days. However, with my kiddos being spaced 8 years apart, big sister can help with little brother during the sale. She doesn't like to stay as long as my mom and I do though.
   Some things that I have found useful while going to garage sales and getting in and out of the car with young ones are as follows.
    Bring snacks: Make sure that they are something not too sweet as their appetite may not be good for lunch.
    Take change (coins): Sometimes these garage sales have cookies and little toys for hardly anything. I found that this was a good time to teach my kids about money and getting change back. Sometimes I let her make the purchase on her own.
     It's ok to get lost: My mom and I have done this numerous times. Sometimes, you stumble upon some great sales that may not have been advertised.
     Treat the kids too: Take them to the park or their favorite spot when all the garage sales are done for the day. My kids enjoy the running around time that they may not have been able to do at the sale.
    These things don't always work, but they help. Sometimes it may be best to leave the little ones at home with dad or a trusted relative. Whatever the case may be, I find garage sales to be helpful in purchasing something for hardly anything.
 

2 comments:

  1. I loved garage sales when I was little :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some good tips. I like that you start teaching your kids how to count money at garge sales. They feel so grown up when they did it.

    ReplyDelete