Saturday, April 28, 2012

Scary movies

   The sound of thunder and rain usually make me tired. On this day though, I decided to do a favorite activity of mine while it's raining. Watch a scary movie!
   I have always loved scary movies, and I think that trait has carried over to my daughter as well. My son is too little to understand what's going on when we get the popcorn out and turn the TV up. All he knows is that food is being made and he wants some. That's why 90% of the time we wait until he's down for a nap.
   My daughter usually picks out the movie. I know what you're thinking, "You let your 9 year old watch a scary movie?! What's wrong with you?" Yes, I know. Letting my daughter watch a scary movie is the biggest parenting sin I could commit. It's horrible and I should not let her watch the movies she enjoys. However, we do watch these in the middle of the day, NOT right before she goes to bed.
    So, my daughter gets the popcorn out for me to pop, and she gets the TV trays and chairs out. (We like to sit close.) The thunder is rumbling, rain is falling hard on the window, and it's a perfect setting for the movie. We are munching away on our popcorn and as the movie gets to a spooky part, I feel my daughters hand reach for mine. She squeezes it, even though she knows what's coming. After the initial jump, she looks at me and smiles. A little sunshine in here, and the storm outside is long gone to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment